The rule of law continues to decline all across California. Today’s case in point: Oakland
Bay estuary, where actual pirates are stealing and plundering ships:
- In Oakland estuary, “the threats of pirates have risen to a new level.”
- A few weeks ago, they were coming in off the water to steal dinghies, but now they’ve moved on to much larger boats.
- A man outfitted his 40 foot boat as a survival home, and thieves came into the marina and stole it. He spotted it stuck to nearby rocks and asked police to impound it. They said he needed to file a police report first.
- The police never came and his insurance company called to tell him the boat had been found trashed. “The stole GPS equipment, engine parts and three handguns.”
- Two other large boats were stolen the same week.
- Boat owners are now going armed.
- The city of Oakland only has one boat officer.
- Boat owners say they’re going to ban together to do whatever they must to protect themselves. “We don’t bother to call the police anymore. We’re going to handle it ourselves.”
See also The recent developments point to concerns about competence and potential national security implications