Officials say a low-voltage, lithium-ion battery from a Tesla exploded, sending heavy smoke through a North Carolina home.
Firefighters say the car’s owners were having trouble with the battery and couldn’t get a replacement, so they removed it and brought it inside to try to charge it. The owners did not follow manufacturers’ instructions, and the lithium-ion battery exploded.
Four people suffering from smoke inhalation were evacuated from the home.
The battery involved in the accident was not a large, high-voltage battery that serves as a motor for an electric vehicle, according to firefighters. It was a 12-voltage battery similar to what is used to start a gas-powered car.